Daniel Funeral Homes

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player


Kenneth J. Fladung – Obituary

Name: Kenneth J. Fladung

Age: 81

Born: 10-12-1938

Died: 02-10-2020

St. Michael's Catholic Church, St. Cloud, Minnesota

St. Michael's Catholic Church, St. Cloud, Minnesota

A Memorial Mass of Christian Burial will be 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, February 15, 2020 at St. Michael’s Catholic Church in St. Cloud for Kenneth J. Fladung, age 81, of Sartell.  Ken passed away February 10 at the St. Cloud VA Heath Care System. Reverend Timothy Gapinski will officiate.  Private entombment will take place in the Assumption Cemetery Mausoleum.  Visitation will begin after 9:30 a.m. on Saturday at the church.

Ken was born October 12, 1938 in St. Cloud to Sylvester and Agnes (Hess) Fladung.  He married his High School sweetheart Karen Weiler on May 6, 1961 at St. Mary’s Cathedral in St. Cloud.  He worked at DeZurik for a few years, but would spend most of his working years at NSP in Monticello, retiring as a maintenance supervisor. He also served in the Army National Guard for many years.  He will be remembered as a self-proclaimed inventor and tinker, trying to fix anything and often exploring the State Fair.

Ken is survived by his wife of 58 years, Karen, children Kim Fladung of Wyoming, MN, Keith (Jackie Blenkush) of St. Michael, Kraig (Jennifer) of Sartell, Kathy Fladung of Seattle, WA, Kit of St. Cloud, Kirk (Nicole) of Shoreview, and Kris Thompson of Wyoming, MN, 10 grandchildren, 4 great grandchildren, and siblings Juanita (Mike) Burns, Carol (Clancy) Schneider, Adeline (Dick) Clement, John (Audrey), Daniel (Ruth), David (Lois), and Linda (Dale) Dulski as well as many nieces, nephews, family and friends.

Ken is preceded in death by his parents.

Memorials are preferred in lieu of flowers.

Guestbook for Kenneth J. Fladung

Bob Rohland
, Co-worker Monticello Nuclear
February 20, 2020, 9:15 pm
To the family and friends of Kenny Fladung, I’m sorry this is so late in getting to you. But…. I wanted to try to remember many of the things I remember about Kenny. I first “met” Kenny on or around, Monday, Nov 4, 1968. This was the first week of our training at the Monticello Nuclear Power Plant. We gathered in what would our new class room for the next year. There were 6 others from other power plants owned by Northern States Power. From the original 8 who met that day in Nov ’68, we are now down to 3. Kenny and I with 6 others were now part of the “operating crew”; the individual’s who would actually start up the plant. The control room operators would start equipment and Kenny and I would listen to the pumps when they started. We would make sure there were no unusual sounds. We were taught all the basics of what we needed to know about working with and around “nuclear power”, including how a reactor works, contamination, protection from contamination and radiation, and the protective clothing we had to wear. In April of ’69, the rest of the operators and supervisors returned from either San Jose CA, or Dresden, Ill. They had been on ‘off-site” training. Kenny and I were assigned to work together as the “out plant operators” on our crew. The super was Frank Schober. The control room operators were: Don Roisum and Bill Boehme. Frank and Bill are now stars in the sky. In Oct of ’69 we started our actual shift work. I don’t remember the full schedule, but it went something like: 7AM-3PM, with 2-3 days off; then switched to midnights, 11 PM to 7 AM, with 2-3 days off; then afternoon 3 PM to 11 PM, with 2-3 days off. For the next 18 months we were doing “start up testing”. Mostly this involved starting many of the very large pumps that can be found in a nuclear power plant. Some of these pumps could pump 4000, gallons/minute. Two of our largest could pump 250, 000 gallons/minute. These two pumped river water through the steam condenser. It was here on shift work that Frank, Don, Bill and I got to know this fabulous guy, called Kenny. We had the most time on 3-11 or 11-7, to sit in the main control room and we listened to Kenny talk about growing up in Sartell-St cloud area. Most of the time there was a lot of laughter. We stayed together for about 2-3 years. I went on to be trained as an operator for the control room. Our shift was “honored” to have the first “scram”. This is where the reactor receives a signal to automatically shut down and all the control rods that are out of the reactor, are automatically and swiftly, pushed back into the reactor. Some of the jobs Ken and I would do were assist in refueling the reactor when we had the plant “shut down” for a re-fueling outage. This work was all done under water. The water shielded us from the deadly affects of extremely high radiation. We helped the other operators to make sure they were removing the correct fuel bundle from the reactor and putting a new one its place. Ken and I also helped “inspecting” the new fuel. When we did this, we could actually touch the fuel, clean it, with acetone, air blow the dust and dirt from it. The “new fuel” bundle had not been in the reactor, so it was not “hot”. We also would “isolate” equipment, like pumps for maintenance. I don’t exactly remember when Ken decided to get off the operating crew, but I do remember he took an electricians job when it opened up at the plant. From there he became a maintenance supervisor. I eventually took supervisors jobs, staying on the operating crew. And I still worked with Kenny in this capacity. I do remember him being very through, and accurate in what ever he was doing. Well, accept for one thing. Once when he was still on my operating crew, he called the control room. I picked up the phone and Ken was calling to report a small fire. As I remember, it was in an electrical breaker box or some other kind of small electrical switch. As I remember, the conversation I had with Kenny went something like: Kenny: “There’s a small fire out here”. Me: “Where is the fire Ken?” Kenny: “Well its right here; I’m standing right next to it”! Me: “Where you Kenny?” We then knew where the fire was, when Kenny told us where he was. To the family of Kenny: I was honored to have the privilege of working with Kenny. I’m sure he will be missed by all of you. P.S. This is long as I wanted all of Ken's friends and family to know what he was doing at the nuclear plant
February 17, 2020, 8:35 pm
So sorry to hear about Ken. He was always kind and helpful person. May he rest in peace.
Fred and Del Sexton
, good friends since high school
February 14, 2020, 4:21 pm
Karen and family; You have our deepest sympathy. We have fond memories of when our families were young and we had so much fun together with all the kids. We also remember the state fair visits with Karen and Ken, and the baking Karen did for Ken when he was in the service. May you all have strength as you move forward together. Ken can start his own inventor's show in heaven!!! Love to you all. Fred and Del
Trude Hartmann
, Co worker
February 13, 2020, 6:56 pm
Always enjoyed hearing about Ken’s treks around the entire State Fair and his patent pending inventions. My sympathy to the family.
Dale Cox
, co-worker
February 13, 2020, 5:37 pm
Ken was always to find better/easier ways to do things. He did have opinions about most everything, but was easy to be around. We will miss you Ken.

Sign Guestbook

 Make my entry private